Tuesday, June 10, 2008


iSpecies was off-line for a few hours today. I moved it from a local folder in my user folder to the /Library/Server folder on the web server, and associated ispecies.org with it's own IP address (although it is still served from the same machine). Glasgow University's DNS seems takes a while to update, so consequently the site appeared to be broken. A quick external check using Network-Tools.com confirmed that ispecies.org had the new IP address, but locally it was still resolving to the holding page of 123-reg, with whom I registered the domain. By fussing with the VirtualHost directive in the Apache httpd.conf file, I managed to get it working again.
DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/ispecies"
ServerName ispecies.org
ServerSignature email
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
LogLevel warn
HostNameLookups off
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/ispecies">
allow from all
Options +Indexes

The only difference users may notice is that the URLs will now always start with http://ispecies.org.